An Introduction to Accessibility and the Arts workshop will be held in Fergus Falls on Thursday, May 17, 2018. It will be held from 10:00 AM to noon at West Central Initiative, 1000 Western Avenue. It is co-hosted by Springboard for the Arts
Presenter Sherry Shirek will share how to plan the implementation of accommodating people with various disabilities when visiting your museum, theater, cultural organization and events. Topics include:
* Learn how to reach out and welcome people with disabilities into your Arts or Cultural organization;
* Learn simple solutions to provide access and accommodations for people with disabilities;
* Learn where to find resources and what other organisations have done to implement accessibility;
* Examine your facility by using an ADA survey checklist and meet experts in the field that can help facilitate these surveys;
* Become a part of a larger community that is passionate and supports one another, shares information by in-person workshops, email discussion lists and Facebook groups;
* Join arts leaders, program and education staff, docents and volunteers from a variety of community-based organizations, theaters, cultural centers and museums.
Shirek is a passionate advocate with over 25 years of experience working in the field of disability. Sherry co-founded the Arts Access For All consortium in 2015 in the Moorhead/Fargo area to bring together arts and cultural leaders, staff, volunteers, community-based organizations, and people with disabilities to discuss ways to implement accommodations one step at a time.
Registration required: http://www.artsafa.org
Access: Facilities and parking are wheelchair accessible. Perfumes or scented lotions are prohibited.
Questions or accommodations: contact Sherry Shirek 701-781-3055 or email@example.com.