Introduction to Accessibility and the Arts
Thu., May 17 at 10:00 am
About the Show
Two hours: May 17, 2018.
Presenter Sherry Shirek
Sherry Shirek presents a session for people to learn how to plan the implementation of accommodating people with various disabilities when visiting your museum, theater, cultural organization and events. Topics include:
* Learn how to reach out and welcome people with disabilities into your Arts or Cultural organization;
* Learn simple solutions to provide access and accommodations for people with disabilities;
* Learn where to find resources and what other organisations have done to implement accessibility;
* Examine your facility by using an ADA survey checklist and meet experts in the field that can help facilitate these surveys;
* Become a part of a larger community that is passionate and supports one another, shares information by in-person workshops, email discussion lists and Facebook groups;
* Join arts leaders, program and education staff, docents and volunteers from a variety of community-based organizations, theaters, cultural centers and museums.
Sherry co-founded the Arts Access For All consortium in 2015 in the Moorhead/Fargo area to bring together arts and cultural leaders, staff, volunteers, community-based organizations, and people with disabilities to discuss ways to implement accommodations one step at a time.